- Issue Time
- Dec 16,2021
By reading this article, you can clarify the common failure causes and treatment methods of diamond blades, so as to better use and maintain diamond blades.
When the diamond saw blade cannot cut correctly, wears too fast, or loses tension, it will seriously affect the sawing effect. When the diamond saw blades have the following problems during the cutting process, we need to identify the cause of the failure in time and deal with it.
1. Loss of tension
The blade will not stay straight while running.
(1) Cause: Blade was misaligned.
Solution: Check for proper saw alignment.
(2) Cause: Blade is excessively hard for the material being cut, creating stress on steel center.
Solution: Double-check that the blade was made to cut the material. If not, select a new blade.
(3) Cause: Blade flanges are not the same size in diameter, creating uneven pressure on the center.
Solution: Confirm the correct blade collar diameter. It should be a minimum of 1/6 inch of the maximum diameter of the blade being used.
(4) Cause: Wrong RPMs
Solution: Use the tachometer to ensure the blade shaft is turning at the proper RPMs for the blade.
2. Segment loss
One or more segments fall off the blade core.
(1) Cause: Blade is too hard for the material it is cutting, which creates excessive dullness, making the segments pound off or fatigue.
Solution: Switch to a softer bond.
(2) Cause: Worn blade flanges fail to provide proper support and cause the blade to deflect.
Solution: Replace both blade flanges.
(3) Cause: Out-of-round blade rotation results in pounding, caused by a worn arbor or bad shaft bearings.
Solution: Replace worn arbor and/or bearings.
3. Overheated blade
Blade becomes too hot.
Cause: Adequate coolant was not provided to the diamond blade.
Solution: Check water supply for adequate volume and for obstructions in the water system. Use dry blades only for shallow cutting (1 to 2 inches deep) or step cutting.
4. Arbor hole out-of-round
Arbor hole stretches so that it isn't a round circle.
(1) Cause: The saw arbor badly is worn due to improperly seated blades.
Solution: Before tightening the flange, make sure the blade is seated correctly on the arbor shoulder.
(2) Cause: Blade flange is not properly tightened permitting the blade to rotate on the shaft.
Solution: Always wrench tighten the arbor nut. Never hand tighten the nut.
(3) Cause: Blade flanges or arbor shafts are worn and do not provide proper blade support.
Solution: Check blade flanges or arbor shaft for damage or excessive wear. Both flanges should be no less than that recommended by the manufacturer. Replace worn parts.
5. Blade won't cut
The blade spins in the cut without cutting the material.
(1) Cause: Blade is too hard for materials being cut.
Solution: Consult dealer or manufacturer for the proper blade to cut the materials.
(2) Cause: Insufficient power to permit the blade to cut properly.
Solution: Make sure belts are not loose, the saw is producing enough horsepower and it is running at the correct RPMs.
(3)Cause: Blade has become dull because of continuous use on hard or vitrified material.
Solution: Consult the diamond tool supplier or the manufacturer.
6. Excessive wear
Segments are worn too quickly.
(1) Cause: If diamonds are highly exposed, you could be using the wrong blade on abrasive material.
Solution: Consult a dealer or manufacturer for the proper blade specification for abrasive material.
(2) Cause: If the diamonds are highly exposed, there could be a lack of sufficient coolant to the blade.
Solution: If the saw is equipped with a water pump, make sure it is functioning properly. Check water supply at the blade.
(3) Cause: Wearing the blade out-of-round accelerates overall wear. Usually, this can be caused by bad bearings, worn shaft, or using a blade too hard for the materials that need to be cut.
Solution: Check bearings and arbor. If worn, replace with new parts before installing another blade.
(4) Cause: Insufficient power caused by loose V-belts or improper RPMs.
Solution: Tighten belts taut or replace any worn belts.
7. Cracked core
Small, sometimes hairline, cracks form on the core.
(1) Cause: Blade is too hard for material being cut.
Solution: Use the correct blade with a softer bond.
(2) Cause: Excessive cutting pressure, jamming, or twisting the blade in the cut can cause the blade core to bend or flex. When subjected to extreme stress and mental fatigue, the blade's steel core will eventually crack.
Solution: The saw operator should use steady, even feed pressure, and be careful not to twist or jam the blade in the cut.
(3) Cause: Overheating through the inadequate water supply or improper use of dry cutting blades.
Solution: Use adequate water to cool wet-cutting diamond blades. Allow adequate airflow around dry-cutting diamond blades to prevent overheating. Never use a blade with a cracked core.
8. Uneven segment wear
Segments wore on one side, reducing side clearance.
(1) Cause: It is usually caused by misalignment of the saw or a lack of sufficient water on both sides of the blade.
Solution: Check saw alignment. Clean water system, and make certain that water is properly applied to the leading edge of the blade flanges. If the machine is equipped with a water pump, check to see if it is supplying enough water.
(2) Cause: Blade is worn out-of-round due to bad bearings, worn arbor, or excessive dulling condition.
Solution: Replace bearings or worn arbor as required.
The above are some of the most common diamond blade and equipment issues that occur in the field, and potential solutions to each issue. If you want to know more about diamond blades after reading the above, you can get a comprehensive solution by contacting us.
MORETOP is a professional manufacturer of multi-function power tool accessories. We have become a leader in this industry with our excellent R&D technology and superb manufacturing technology. We are equipped with a professional production team and a strict quality inspection system, which can control the quality of the products in an all-round way. At the same time, we will also provide effective solutions according to the diverse needs of users. If you are interested in our diamond saw blades, please contact us immediately!